You may want to keep this recipe in your "potluck" folder because it's a pretty, make-ahead dish that can be cooked in a disposable pan. I hope you enjoy one of my favorite recipes.
Tomato Vegetable Casserole
1 medium potato, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1 red bell pepper, cored, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
2 carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1/2 red onion, thinly sliced into rings
1 large zucchini, cut crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick pieces
2 large ripe tomatoes, cut crosswise into 1/4-inch thick slices
4 tablespoons olive oil
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 3/4 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup grated Parmesan
Fresh basil to garnish (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F
2. Toss the potato, sweet potato, bell pepper, carrots, 2 tablespoons of olive oil, 3/4 teaspoon of pepper and 1/2 teaspoon of salt in a 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking dish to coat. Spread vegetables evenly in the pan.
3. Arrange the onion slices evenly over the vegetable mixture. Arrange the zucchini over the onion. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon of oil. Sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon each of salt and pepper. Arrange the tomato slices over the zucchini. Drizzle with the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil and sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 teaspoon each of salt and pepper.
4. In a small bowl, combine the Parmesan and bread crumbs. Sprinkle the Parmesan mixture over the vegetables in the baking dish.
5. Bake uncovered until the vegetables are tender and the topping is golden brown, about 40 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes. Garnish with fresh basil sprigs, if desired.